Saturday, February 23, 2013

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

 
Oatmeal is such a satisfying breakfast and I find myself eating it several times a week. Whether it's Overnight oats, stove top oats, or baked oatmeal, it's all good to me. This is a big difference from someone who grew up thinking oatmeal tasted like cardboard. My how times have changed.
 
I have seen this recipe for baked oatmeal all over the blog world and knew I needed to give it a try. I wanted to keep it simple, yet sweet and flavorful. The combination of the sweet warm blueberries and the coconut made me feel like I was eating a dessert. I simply cannot get enough of this heart-healthy, fiber-rich breakfast. 
 
 
This dish makes several servings, perfect to reheat and have for breakfast throughout the week. How is that for a quick and healthy breakfast option?!
 
 
Baked Blueberry Oatmeal
 (Recipe yields 4 large servings)

Ingredients:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut

Directions:
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and coconut. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, milk, egg and vanilla together. Add to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Bake in a greased 8" square baking dish on 375 degrees for 30 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment