Thursday, May 17, 2012

Blueberry Flax Seed Muffins

By reading my blog you can clearly tell that I love muffins and breads, especially when they are healthy and nutritious. Blueberry muffins will probably always stand as my favorite as they take me back to my childhood. My dad used to take me to Hardee's when I was a little girl and I would order a blueberry muffin that was insanely huge and loaded down with all sorts of fat and sugar. But it was good! And in my 6 year old mind the bigger the muffin, the better. Bring on the sugar.

Now in my almost 30 year old mind two things have changed. I still love blueberry muffins but the healthy and nutritious ones are now better and I no longer eat at Hardee's. :)

These lightly sweet, super moist muffins are low in calories and fat, and high in fiber. I decided to add the ground flax seeds at the end for an additional nutrient boost. Nothing like a healthy breakfast that is bursting with blueberries to get your day started. I prefer these muffins served warm out of the oven or I reheat them for a few seconds in the microwave and eat them along with some fruit.

Blueberry Flax Seed Muffins
Yields 12 Muffins

Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds

Directions:
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix together the milk, egg, applesauce, vanilla, oil, and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients in with the dry then fold in the blueberries and ground flax seeds.




- Add dough into a greased muffin tin. Bake on 400 for 25 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment