Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Apple Cake

Like I mentioned in my previous post we have an abundance of apples that I am trying to use up before they go bad. I came across this recipe for an Apple Cake that we acquired from Jason's mom so I knew immediately I needed to give it a try. We still have so many recipes of Phyllis' and I feel like I have only tried a handful of them so I am always excited to test out a new one. I used half whole wheat flour with the all purpose but if you want to stick to the original recipe just use 2 1/2 cups of the all purpose flour. The recipe calls for a tube pan but since I have not yet invested in one I used a bundt pan instead. You could probably make this in a shoe box and it would still taste amazing, although that is not my recommendation.


Apple Cake

Ingredients:
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Directions:
- Pour oil in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Gradually add flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to the bowl. Add in the vanilla
- Fold in the apples
- Pour the mixture into a greased pan and bake on 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.

Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix ingredients together and pour over top of cake after it cools


No comments:

Post a Comment