Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend and Sock-It-To-Me Cake

I hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend. Jason and I spent it in the mountains with my parents and some close family friends. It was a relaxing weekend and the perfect place to be to welcome the new season.


Saturday morning we went to the Farmers Market in Boone to pick up some fresh produce for the weekend. Not only did we pick up some stuff for the weekend but we bought a few things to enjoy at home. My friend had told me about the Ravioli made by the Pasta Wench so we picked up a bag of the Butternut Squash and Garlic Pear that we ended up cooking last night when we got home. Holy Yum! The best Ravioli I have ever had. I am trying to figure out how to have this shipped to my door without having to make a weekly trip to Boone's Farmers Market. My hot sauce loving husband also picked up some of this sauce to bring back home with us.
The remainder of our weekend was spent hiking, shopping, cornhole, reading and eating lots of good food.


Friday morning before we left I made a Sock-It-To-Me Cake to take to the mountains with us. When I first saw the name I thought it was something silly that Phyllis and her girlfriends came up with at the Tea Room but come to find out this is an actual cake. Who knew?
This is the perfect cake to accompany your morning coffee or to enjoy for dessert. This super moist cake has a cinnamon, brown sugar, and pecan filling and is easy to put together. I chose to bake this in a bundt pan but you can just as easily use a tube pan.


In addition to the sock it to me cake I also made Bran Muffins for people to enjoy throughout the weekend and my Corn Chowder with Sausage soup Saturday for lunch. They were both a hit.

Sock-It-To-Me Cake



Ingredients:
- 1 box Butter Golden cake mix (Duncan Hines)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
Filling:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
- Combine the top ingredients (cake mix through eggs) in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl mix together the filling ingredients.
 
Pour 2/3 of the cake mix into a greased bundt pan. Pour the cinnamon filling over top. Pour the remaining cake mixture over top. 


 
Bake on 375 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment