Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bran Muffins

I need to start this post off by sharing with you a little bit about Jason’s mom. Phyllis always had a dream of opening a tea room so in the early 90's she started Chantilly's Tea Room in Gastonia. She had a love for food and cooking and not only was Phyllis an amazing cook but she was a wonderful mother, wife, grandmother and friend who passed away in December of 2009 from cancer. Before she passed away Phyllis and I watched endless hours of Food Network together and I listened as she told me stories of her days at the Tea Room. She took great pleasure in cooking for other people and she has truly been an inspiration to me. Jason and I have acquired many of her recipes, and I hope to one day put a cookbook together in honor of her.
The recipe for the bran muffins mentioned here came from Phyllis and they are incredible. I have made these several times and they have been a hit each time. I made them for one of our weekend trips to the mountains and it was nice to have them as another breakfast option.

** A little Side note- Jason and I love to heat the muffin for a few seconds in the microwave  then add a little butter before eating it (I feel like Paula Deen by saying that). **

This is the type of Bran I used



Bran Muffins
POUR: 1 cup of boiling water over 1 cup 100%Bran and set aside
CREAM: 1/4 cup sugar
               3/4 cup brown sugar
               1 scant cup of cooking oil
               1/2 teaspoon salt
ADD: 2 eggs
          2 cups buttermilk
          2 cups 100% Bran-Let all this stand
SIFT: 2-3/4 cup plain flour with 2 ½ teaspoons of baking soda and add buttermilk mixture. Pour in first mixture of Bran and hot water. Stir together. Add raisins or dates (optional). Grease muffin tins and bake 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 24 muffins. This mixture may be kept in refrigerator and used as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment