Monday, October 15, 2012
This sweet cornbread is the prefect accompaniment to a hot bowl of soup or chili. The key to making perfect cornbread is to use a cast iron skillet in order to get a crispy crust while the inside remains soft and moist.You can add other ingredients into this recipe such as corn, cheddar cheese, or green chilies.
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine Jan/Feb 2012
-3/4 cup Cornmeal
-3/4 cup Whole-wheat flour
-3/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 3/4 cups buttermilk
-1 tablespoon melted butter
-2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in a 425 degree oven.
-Whisk cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Separately, whisk buttermilk, eggs, butter and honey.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Coat the hot cast-iron skillet with cooking spray and add the batter.
- Bake until golden, 18-20 minutes.