Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

Since I was a little girl spaghetti was and still is one of my all time favorite foods. However, this statement is only true if we are talking about my mom's spaghetti sauce. The recipe for this sauce is, in my opinion, the very best spaghetti sauce in the world.
This was always the meal my mother would make for me on my birthday and when I was gone for 23 days in high school on Teens Westward Bound I called home a few days before we were to arrive with one request..Will you please make me spaghetti when I get back into town? It is so good!

I tried to measure out the ingredients as I went but like most sauces you add as you go and alter the ingredients to your liking. The aroma from the sauce simmering on the stove is enough to make you want to curl up on the couch in front of the fireplace with a good book till it's time for dinner. The sauce is best when it can simmer for a while so sit back and relax while the sauce works it's magic.




Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

Ingredients:
- 1lb. Ground Turkey
- 1- 45oz. jar Ragu Traditional marinara sauce
- 1- 8oz container sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon worchestire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box whole wheat spaghetti noodles, cooked

Directions:
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add in chopped onion and ground turkey, salt and pepper. Cook the meat until brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large pot pour in the ragu sauce, mushrooms, basil, oregano, worchestire sauce. Add in the cooked ground meat.

- Let the sauce simmer for an 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The longer the sauce simmers the better it will taste.
 
- Add sauce to whole wheat noodles and top with Parmesan cheese (optional).




No comments:

Post a Comment