Friday, November 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins

 
I find myself stocking up on cans of pumpkin every time I go to the store and then stare aimlessly in my pantry wondering what I can use them for. It doesn't take me long before I am making a batch of  pumpkin scones, or pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, or adding pumpkin into a bowl of oatmeal or making a smoothie. Often times this leaves me with half a can of pumpkin in the refrigerator that will soon go to waste if I don't find another use for it. The horror! This is how I found myself searching the internet the other morning for these wonderfully delicous yet healthy muffins. Here is a recipe to try next time you find yourself with leftover pumpkin.
 
 
 
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins
(Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)
Recipe makes 12 muffins
 
Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
 
Directions:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice.
In a seperate bowl mix together the sugars, oil, applesauce, pumpkin, milk and eggs. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients.
 
- Divide the batter among a greased muffin pan. Bake on 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

 


2 comments:

  1. I love how delicious they look and how healthy they are!
    Thank you you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using applesauce in my muffins and am always looking for new recipes. I love pumpkin too, so I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete