Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Orange Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

A few weeks ago I was in Kiawah for my best friend's wedding. Most of the weekend was filled with wedding festivities so a few of us decided to hang around on Sunday to enjoy the island. While the men spent the day on the golf course me and two of my girlfriends headed to the Marina for lunch. While waiting for a seat I looked up and saw my friend Sarah, who recently moved from Charlotte to Charleston. While we were talking she mentioned that she has been following my blog and wondered if I could come up with a recipe for healthy Orange Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies. Ask and you shall receive.

After doing some research on the Internet I took different ingredients from a few different recipes to come up with this delightfully nutritious yet sweet a chewy cookie. Trust me you will not feel guilty about eating these.



Orange Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Yields 24 cookies

Ingredients:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/4 cup Trop50 orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
- In a small bowl add the cranberries to the orange juice and soak for 10 minutes.

- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, vanilla, apple sauce, orange zest and the cranberry mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Add the wet ingredients in with the dry and mix well.

- Lay parchment paper down on a cookie sheet and spoon about  tablespoon of the cookie dough on the paper. Bake cookies on 375 for 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment