I knew today was going to be a good day when I started my morning off with a fresh baked buttermilk scone with warm chocolate chips sprinkled inside. With a crispy exterior, a light and fluffy interior and just enough sweetness these scones were perfect. And even better you don't have to feel guilty about eating them!
The key to making a perfect scone is to make sure the butter and buttermilk are cold and the liquid ingredients are added to the dry all at once before mixing. Be careful not to over mix the dough.
These scones are a perfect morning treat the whole family will love.
Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
(Makes 8 wedges)
- 3/4 Buttermilk (plus a little exrta to brush over top)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Mix together the milk, sugar, vanilla and egg.
- In a seperate bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the chilled butter cutting into pieces.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Add in the milk mixture until moist.
- Add dough to a floured surface a knead several times using floured hands.
- Form the dough into a circle about a 3/4" thick. Using a knife cut into 8 wedges all the way through the dough.
- Brush with extra buttermilk and sprinkle a bit of sugar over top.
- Bake 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.