`Macaroni and Cheese with Truffle Oil
(Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine)
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 cups sliced onion (1 medium)
- 12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni (I used Dreamfields Healthy Carb Living)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (I used Gruyere and Swiss blend from TJ)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white truffle oil
- 2 ounces whole wheat baguette, torn
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Heat 1 3/4 cups milk and onion in a large saucepan until tiny bubbles form around edges (do not boil. ) Cover and remove from heat; let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 3. Strain milk mixture through a colander over a bowl; discard solids. Return milk to saucepan over medium heat. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring until blended. Gradually stir flour mixture and salt into warm milk, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 6 minutes or until mixture cools slightly. Gradually add Fontina and Gruyere cheeses, stirring until cheeses melt. Stir in Pasta and truffle oil. Spoon mixture into a broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish.
- 4. Preheat broiler
- 5. Place bread, Parmesan cheese, and garlic in a food processor; process until coarse and crumbs form. Drizzle with olive oil; pulse until fine crumbs form.
Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta. Place dish on middle rack of the oven; broil till golden brown (about 2 minutes).