Monday, January 9, 2012

Antiques

A good friend of mine has encouraged me to add some design ideas/tips into my blog in addition to my other ramblings. I have an undergraduate degree in Interior Design and although I am no longer working in the field it is still something I am very much interested in. Jason and I moved into our house in April of 2010 and it has become my little project to make it "our home".



You would think after living here for almost two years it would be complete by now but that is definitely not the case. Since I decided to go back to school to get my teaching license in elementary education the extra time was something I did not have (until recently because I finished!). Also, buying new furniture, appliances, accessories, etc. can really add up so we decided to put our focus into one room at a time so that we could make it perfect for us.

I love the look and feel that comes from adding antiques and rustic style furniture to the home. For me, rustic details add a charming touch to any home helping to create a warm and inviting space. So you can imagine my excitement when I heard about the Sleepy Poet Antique Mall here in Charlotte. It is 55,000 square feet of antiques/consignments. Luckily, Jason grew up shopping in these kind of places with his mom so I didn't have to beg too hard for him to come along with me. We were looking to find some sort of console table for our living room and just when we were about the give up we found it.



We saw this table at one of the very last booths before calling it a day. It was exactly what we had in mind and it really helped to complete the room.


The picture on the wall is an old vintage map of Paris. Since this is where Jason proposed  to me it has a special meaning behind it. We first saw this picture in a magazine and as much as we LOVED it we could not imagine spending the money that they were asking for it. I ended up searching on Allposters.com  for vintage maps of Paris and found this one. This website also gave us the option of ordering the matte and frame included. This just shows that you can still achieve the same look without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

                                           

 I would love to hear some other creative design ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment