Friday, January 20, 2012

Comfort Food

Comfort food is defined as foods that may have a nostalgic or sentimental appeal, often times rich in calories. For those of us who grew up in the south it is also known as "good ole southern cooking (cookin)". Its good, provides a feeling of warmth, and its what I many of us crave this time of year. Although I grew up in the south I am not a southern cook, mostly because I don't know how to cook that way. I have never fried anything and if I have an option of using a low fat or healthier ingredient I will do so. Don't get my wrong I love enjoy comfort food but if I want the real thing I will have to go to my mom's house for that. (Like I did with this meal). With all that being said I made my version of one of my favorite comfort foods last night for dinner, meatloaf. Instead of using ground mystery meatloaf mix  I chose to use organic ground chicken. Here is my twist on a southern classic that we all know and love which even fooled my husband.
Chicken Meatloaf
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. ground chicken
  • 3/4 cup of old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup of milk (I used almond milk but skim milk would work fine)
  • 1 cup diced onions
  • 1 cup diced green pepper
  • 1 egg, 1 egg white
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  • Mix the oats with the milk and set aside
  • Mix the remainder of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the oats



  • Place ingredients into a casserole dish and bake on 350 degrees for 1 hour

  • Let the meatloaf sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. 


Served with a side of sauteed onions and brussel sproats
**Not pictured was additional ketchup for the meatloaf :)**





What are some of your favorite comfort foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment