Saturday, December 15, 2012

Eggnog Muffins

I want to take a moment to express my condolences to the innocent victims, families and all others who were affected by the tragedy yesterday at Sandy Hook Elementary School. I can't begin to imagine what the families and community are going through but my thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of them.

**
Eggnog Muffins

 
Until this year I wasn't sure if I was a fan of eggnog because it's not something I grew up drinking during the holidays or perhaps one time I tried it and decided I didn't like it. As I was doing some grocery shopping the other week I found myself stopping in front of the eggnog display in the dairy section. I picked up this Silk Nog, quickly read through the nutrition facts, and threw it in the buggy without giving it another thought. It turns out that I do in fact like eggnog and if you are one of those people who are on the fence about it, give it another try. I really like the Silk Nog because it's lactose free and only 90 calories per serving but if you prefer a different eggnog then feel free to use it instead.

As we are approaching Christmas and can still take advantage of this festive holiday drink these muffins are the perfect breakfast to make for your family. Like most muffins they are best hot out of the oven or can simply be reheated in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds before eating.


Eggnog Muffins
Recipe Yields 12 muffins

Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups eggnog
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine eggnog, melted butter, egg, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix together and add into the flour mixture.
- Bake on 400 degrees in a greased muffin tin for 20 minutes.
- Once the muffins have been removed from the oven brush the warm muffins with melted butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment