Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Sweet Memory

I fell in love with Rice Pudding while Jason and I were on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. It reminds me of our first night having dinner overlooking the ocean, at what would end up being our favorite restaurant. This is where I ordered it for the first time (ever), after seeing it featured on the dessert menu. From that moment on, a special bond was formed. :)
Blue Marlin in Cap Cana

I have not had rice pudding since our honeymoon so when I came across it in the Cooking Light Magazine (and a healthy version at that!) you can imagine my excitement. Instead of making this dish for dessert I imagined this sweet, warm and creamy pudding would be wonderful for breakfast. I gave it a try this morning and was immediately taken back to sandy beaches and crystal blue water. Instead of topping my rice pudding with pistachios like the recipe called for I decided to use blueberries in its place.

Warm Coconut Rice Pudding
**Recipe adapted from Maureen Callahan, , January 2012**
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk (I used Almond milk)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- blueberries (optional)
  1.  Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; uncover. Set aside.
  2.  Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl.
  3. Combine 1/4 cup milk and yolks in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add sugar mixture to milk mixture, stirring with a whisk until blended.
  4. Bring remaining 1 1/4 cups milk and coconut milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture, stirring with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cooked rice, coconut, and next 2 ingredients. Top with blueberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment