Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

I came across this quick bread recipe while flipping through some of Phyllis's recipes. I absolutely love Pumpkin Bread and thought this would be a nice change from some of our more typical breakfast foods. I remembered reading this blog post recently that had a few alternatives for making a healthier quick bread. I replaced half of the vegetable oil with plain Greek yogurt and I replaced half of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. In addition to these changes I decided to leave out some of the sugar since I typically spread peanut butter on top before eating it anyway. The Pumpkin Bread turned out incredibly moist and it had just the right amount of sweetness for a morning breakfast. Included is the original recipe along with my substitutions. This recipe makes two loaves so you can always freeze the other one if you don't need it right away.

Pumpkin Bread
- 3 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup nuts or dates (optional)
- 4 eggs
**Mix all the ingredients together and pour into two loaf pans. Bake on 350 for 1 hour.

"Healthier" Pumpkin Bread
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I didn't have nutmeg on hand)
- 2 Cups of pumpkin (I used both 15oz.cans)
- 4 Eggs
- 3/4 cup water
****Mix all the ingredients together and pour into two loaf pans. Bake on 350 for 1 hour.

Before eating I recommend putting the sliced pumpkin bread in the toaster and adding Biscoff Spread on top. (You can also do peanut butter). It will forever change the way you eat pumpkin bread.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment